Help Us Keep Siblings Together
Take Action Now!
Nick Honey, MSW, Human Services Department Family, Youth & Children’s Division calls the Village, “A wonderful Program”, February 28, 2014 Press Democrat!
What the Press Democrat did not say is:
- The Village keep sibling groups intact.
- Reduces multiple placements in foster homes.
- Provides a family-like environment with trained house parents who reside with foster youth in four separate homes.
The State of California has instituted new standards for foster care, emphasizing the immediate return of children to their biological extended families. This new policy, implemented with the passing of AB74, is in response to the State’s financial crisis. The policy is designed to minimize public dollars spent in the foster care system. As a result of this change, children are no longer being referred to the Sonoma County Children’s Village (the “Village”). Read more here and how you can help….
The mission of Sonoma County’s Children’s Village is to provide nurturing, stable family homes in a multi-generational, enriched environment for children and their siblings in foster care.
- Establish a family-like setting for children in foster care
- Provide enrichment activities focusing on each child’s interests and talents
- Provide opportunity for sibling groups to grow up together
- Maximize stability and minimize multiple placements
- Prepare for successful transition to adulthood
We are happy to share our unique model for foster care with you. I hope you will explore the site and learn how the Village provides family and a sense of belonging for children and siblings in foster care.